This week’s article is written by special guest, Deni Carruth, VICTOR Life Coach.
There’s so much talk about passion these days. Some define passion as what they do; others use it to describe who they are. Who’s right?
I like to say that passion is your uniqueness that makes what you do uniquely you. Dictionary.com defines passion as: a powerful or compelling emotion or feeling. To me, passion walks hand in hand with purpose, but I don’t confuse the two.
Whatever you’re involved in, whether it’s a presentation, a project, an interview or any relationship; if you bring what is uniquely you to the table, you will be powerful and compelling. That’s passion.
To have passion or to be passionate, you must know more about who you are. I walk my clients through a series of exercises that allows them to discover what makes them uniquely them. We do a little digging, and passion is at the very heart of it. And while my process is more than what I’ll go into here, I’d like to share just one of the exercises with you that can give you, right now, something to bring to the table every time. It’s your personal alphabet.
Take out a piece of blank, ruled paper. Down the left side, list the English alphabet from A to Z. Now go back and write in a word that describes you (nothing negative) that begins with each letter. The words can even be causes you love, character traits, special interests you have, skills or talents. You. Be brave. These words should bring a smile to your face.
Once you discover these 26 expressions of you, put them to use to bring passion to whatever you do.
Here’s my list of the Passion Baker’s Dozen: 13 Ways to make passion work for you.
1. Passion is powerful – people can hear it in your voice, you can even feel the strength behind what you’re saying or doing
2. Passion is compelling – it brings an irresistible effect and draws people in
3. Passion brings emotion to your presence – there’s no dull or boring shadow over you, people will feel what you feel
4. Passion shows strength and effectiveness – it allows you to stand firm on what you believe and what you say about it
5. Passion will influence others – your excitement and commitment will have a direct influence on others
6. Passion demands attention and is irresistible – when you talk, people will listen
7. Passion displays authenticity – there’s nothing fake about even something that seems silly, when there is passion behind it
8. Passion is very convincing – it’s almost a secret weapon
9. Passion makes what you do easier – it just flows, without hesitation, resistance or fear
10. Passion is seen and felt by others – it shines like a light whenever you speak or smile; you can’t hide it, and they can’t hide from it
11. Passion gives you direction and purpose – it guides your conversation, your actions and your rewards
12. Passion keeps you on track – when you feel yourself wandering, come back to it
13. Passion brings excitement – nuff said
It’s time to bring your uniqueness; what makes what you do uniquely you, to the forefront.
© Copyright 2010 Deni Carruth
Deni Carruth is passionate about the health and wellness of executives and entrepreneurs, and is known as THE Executive Wellness Coach. She is also known for her VICTOR Lifestyle programs that allow her clients to experience VICTORies everyday in their life and business. She invites you to dig deep to discover, rediscover or redefine your passion at http://www.masterkeyscoaching.com.